Sometimes a financial transaction between the two bank accounts may be stuck due to some technical issue. And you do not get a confirmation message. Then how can you track the status of the transaction? The answer is UTR.
In this post, I will tell you what is UTR? And how can you track the UTR of all type of transactions including SBI. In addition, what is the procedure of follow up of a transaction through the UTR?
Meaning of UTR | What is UTR?
The full form of UTR is ‘Unique Transaction Reference’. This reference number identifies a particular transaction. Every UTR is unique to a transaction. You can’t find same UTR for two transactions. That is why this number is used to track the transaction.
Banks generate UTR for all type of financial transactions. Whether, the transaction is through the NEFT, RTGS or even UPI. Thus you can say when a financial transaction occurs, there will be a UTR. And with the help of this UTR, you can get the status of the transaction.
You can see the UTR in your bank passbook and even in the online bank statement. It may consist of alphabetic and numeric code or only with the numeric code. It depends upon bank to bank. So there is not a fixed format of the UTR.
Why UTR is Important?
So we can say that the main purpose of the UTR is to track the status of the financial transaction.
As it is clear by its name, the UTR number is a special number. So every transaction has a unique number. That’s why only the UTR can help you to get the transaction status. Because other details in a transaction may be the same with the details of another transaction.
This UTR is the most essential part of the transaction than any other details. It simplifies the process to track the transaction. Also, the UTR facilitates you and the bank representative to get complete information. Especially when you find that the transaction is stuck somewhere.
How To check UTR Online
As I said earlier that every transaction from a bank account has a UTR number. So if you have made a transaction through NEFT or RTGS you would have to visit your bank website. But if you have made a transaction through the UPI App, then you have to go to your UPI App.
Thus I tell you both the ways where you may check the UTR online. Moreover, also see that how you can track the UTR of SBI.
1. How to Track UTR of SBI
To track the UTR of SBI transaction online you have to visit the SBI Net Banking. Use your SBI Banking ID and password to access your account online.
Here tap on the Request and Enquiries tab. Select the Status Enquiry option. Further, select a particular transaction. Then you can get the UTR number of your NEFT or RTGS transaction.
2. Check UTR of Other Transactions
Visit the bank website with your customer ID and password and follow some steps-
- There you have to open your account statement.
- Then you can see the date-wise transaction history of your account.
- For a special transaction, if you want to get the UTR you have to click on the transaction details.
- As you click, you will see a window containing information of that transaction along with the Transaction ID. This transaction ID is the UTR.
- Thus with the help of this UTR, you may follow up your transaction.
3. Check UTR in UPI Apps
Sometimes people are confused with the term UTR. As you do not see this term anywhere and when the bank representative asks you to give UTR, you fail to communicate.
But I want to tell you that terms Transaction ID, Order ID, Transaction number and UPI Reference ID are also used in place of the UTR.
Thus let us see the steps to check the UTR of a UPI transaction in a UPI App.
- Open the UPI App
- Go to the UPI transaction history page through the Transactions option
- Select the transaction
- You can see the Transaction ID. It is the UTR of that transaction.
Check Status of Transaction using UTR
The main purpose of the UTR to check the status of the transaction. So let us see the two fields where you can check the transaction status using UTR.
1. Check the Status of an NEFT or RTGS Transaction using UTR
You may check the status of your bank account transaction including SBI. For this purpose, you have to use your Internet Banking User ID and password. Alternatively, you can use the mobile app of your bank. Then follow some steps-
- Go to the earlier transactions section
- Select the transaction and tap on UTR number
- The current status of the transaction will be displayed.
Moreover, you can make a call to the bank customer care. Then give him the UTR number. He will provide you with the updated status. Or you can visit the bank branch as well. There you would have to follow the same procedure.
2. Status of UPI Transaction using UTR
Now see how you can check the status of UPI transaction using UTR-
- Visit the payment and receipt history
- Select the transaction
- Tap on the Raise Concern to get information online
- You will be redirected to the UPI complaint page
- Select the option for which you want to get the status
- Enter the details along with the issue and Transaction ID
- Click on submit and you will get the updated and correct information of your transaction
Moreover, you may call the bank in spite of Raise the concern online. For this tap on Call Bank link. A call will connect to the customer care of the bank. An executive will ask you the UTR. Give him the Transaction ID and get the updated status of your concern.