The Google Tez is one of the most popular app for money transfer. There are many uses of this app. You can send money, receive money, check balance, pay bills and chat as well. Moreover, it also gives you the reward. In this post, I would tell you the ways to use these features of the Google Tez.
Before detailing the use of Google Tez, I would like to tell you that Tez has now become Google Pay. Hence I would use the term Google Pay(Tez) instead of the Google Tez.
- 1 How To Download Google Pay (Tez) App
- 2 Google Pay (Tez) Registration Before the Use
- 3 Link Bank Account
- 4 Set UPI PIN
- 5 Check Balance
- 6 Send Money
- 7 Bill Payments
- 8 Recharge Mobile
- 9 Refer a Friend
- 10 Scratch card To Win Prizes
- 11 How To Complain
How To Download Google Pay (Tez) App
The Google Pay (Tez) app is available at Google Play for android users. The iPhone users can get it from the app store. I have given the direct link of the app so that there is no confusion.
To use the Google Pay (Tez) on android phone, your android version should be 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
Note, you can use the Google Pay (Tez) only in the mobile phone or sim based tablets. All the UPI apps are based on the mobile number, hence it would not work on any device which don’t have its own mobile number. So, you would not find this app for the PC. Also, the Google Pay (Tez) app is not available at windows store.
Google Pay (Tez) Registration Before the Use
When you first time open a newly installed Google Pay (Tez) app, you have to go through the registration process. It is mandatory to use Google Pay. Before registering, you must go through the following checklist.
- You must have a bank account for using the the Tez
- You should have registered the mobile number with your account number.
- Same mobile number should be used for the registration.
- SIM of the given mobile number should be active on your current smartphone.
- It should also have some balance to send an SMS.
The first step of registration is the selection of the language. You can choose any of the 8 languages available. The chosen language would become active from the next screen.
Enter Mobile Number
In the second step, you have to enter the mobile number. To use the UPI App, you must give the Indian Mobile Number. Tap on the arrow given on the top right corner.
Now, the app would ask permission to send and view SMS. You have to give the permission as system authenticates the mobile number by sending an SMS to the UPI server. It also ask permissions for accessing your contacts and location. The contacts permission is required so that you can easily send money to your contacts.
Choose Google Account
Now, the Google Pay (Tez) app ask you to choose a google account. If you have multiple account, you would see all of them. Chose the desired gmail account.
In the next step, the Google Pay (Tez) would detect the OTP sent to your number. If does not detect it automatically, enter it yourself and tap on forward arrow. This step verifies your mobile number.
Choose Login Method
Now you have to choose the login credential of the Google Pay (Tez). You can use your screen lock here as well. It is easier to operate, specially if you use the finger prints. But to give it greater security you should use the second option, that is google PIN. If you have not already set the Google PIN, you can do it here. With this step the registration process completes. Tap on Continue.
Link Bank Account
After the registration of Google Pay (Tez), you must link your bank account. As, you would not be able to use Tez app without linking the bank account. You should know that Google Pay (Tez) app transfers money between the bank account. There is no mobile wallet involved. In fact, This app is simplified platform of internet banking. The linking of bank account goes through following steps.
- Tap on your profile picture. It is at the top left corner. The Google fetches your photo from the Google Account. It opens a page which has all of your personal details.
- In the profile page, you would see Link of Bank Account. Tap on that. Now you would see the link to add a new bank account. Note, you can add more than one bank account in the Google Pay (Tez) app.
- Now you would see a list of the banks. This list contains all the banks which are active on UPI platforms. The list is sorted alphabetically. Choose your bank. As you select the bank, an SMS is sent to the bank.
- The bank fetches your account details by using the mobile number. After the verification, your bank account number would appear automatically. If you have more than one account with a bank, you would see all of them. The next step is setting your UPI PIN for the bank account.
Set UPI PIN
When you use a bank account to send money, it requires a UPI PIN for the authentication. You can set the UPI PIN online through any of the UPI App including Google Pay (Tez). Once you set a UPI PIN for a bank account, You can use it at any UPI App. Hence, if you have already set a UPI PIN for the chosen bank account, you are not required to set it here. Else, you can set a new UPI PIN from the Tez app.
To set a UPI PIN tap on your profile image to reach the profile page. In that page tap on the bank account. You would see the linked bank account. Tap on the bank account to see the option to set or reset the UPI PIN.
To set the UPI PIN, you have to give following details.
- Last six digits of the debit card.
- Expiry date of the debit card.
After entering these details tap on the next button. Now An OTP would be sent to your mobile number. The Tez would automatically detect the OTP. Along with that OTP, you have to enter the new UPI PIN. This UPI PIN can be 4 or 6 digits, depends on the bank. Enter again the UPI PIN to confirm. That is it. You are ready to perform different transaction through the Google Pay (Tez) app.
To Know more about it, you can read my detailed post on UPI PIN of Tez.
Google Pay or any other UPI app gives you the facility to check the bank account balance. You can check the balance of all the linked accounts. It is super easy but for that you must remember the UPI PIN. As Google Pay (Tez) can access your bank account only after submitting the UPI PIN each time.
- To know the bank balance, you have to open the profile page by tapping on your photo.
- In the profile page tap on the ‘Bank account’. It would show all of your linked bank account. Tap on the desired bank.
- You would see the option to know the bank balance, tap on that.
- Enter the UPI PIN for the authentication. You would see your current account balance.
Note, you can see only the balance of the saving account. It would not shoe the Linked FD account balance or PPF Account balance. For all those other accounts, you have to use the net banking.
The main job of the UPI app is the money transfer. It has made the fund transfer quite easy. The Google Pay (Tez) has further simplified the process by introducing the Tez Mode.
Send or Receive Money Through the Tez Mode
In the Tez Mode, you don’t need any information of beneficiary. Rather, you can send money like sending files through the Shareit. It is an innovation of the Tez. That is why, you would see it as the first option.
- Tap on the ‘Tez Mode’ button. In this mode, you have to slide the button either for receiving or sending the money.
- When, you slide for sending money, you would be able to see those people who are using the Tez mode and and willing to receive the fund.
- Select the person and enter the amount. Enter the UPI PIN for the final authentication. This completes the fund transfer.
Send or Ask Money Through the Normal Process
Open the Tez app and tap on the ‘New’. This Button is located Downward in the screen.
You would see many options of the payment. These are Mobile Recharge, Bill Payment, Bank Account Transfer, Transfer to a Phone number or Send Money to UPI ID or QR code. All these payment options use the UPI payment system for deduction amount from your account and crediting it to another account. Hence for every type of payment you have to enter the UPI PIN for authentication.
- For Mobile Recharge and Bill Payments, the Google Pay (Tez) has made contracts with the billers and telecom companies. These companies are showcased at tez app. You can choose your biller or telecom company.
- For the Bank Account Transfer, you have to enter the bank account number and IFSC of the beneficiary.
- You can also choose phone number from your contacts to make a payment. The beneficiary should be using the Google Pay (Tez) app for this option. The google Tez connections are given in the payment page. Even you can see the favorite connection just in the firs page.
- You can also use the UPI ID or QR code of the beneficiary. These two are used in place of bank account number. You can use the UPI ID or QR code generated from any of the UPI App.
Pay or Request Money From a Contact
- To make a payment to your friend or relative, just select the contact from the list of Google Tez Connections.
- Choose ‘Pay’ or ‘Request’ option in the next page.
- You can also chat with the beneficiary just before making a payment. The Option to ‘Say Hello’ is given
- To Pay an amount you have to enter the amount along with the reason. Telling Reason is not mandatory.
- Proceed to Pay the amount and enter the UPI PIN for the Authentication.
- In the ‘Request’ Option you have to also enter the amount but UPI PIN is not required. Use this option to ask money from the selected person.
The Google Pay (Tez) gives you the easy way to pay the bills. To pay a bill, you have to register a biller. Once you register the biller, you would be able to see the billed amount every month. The Tez is using another NPCI product Baharat Bill Payment System for this service. As you know that NPCI has also developed the UPI Payment system on which the Tez runs.
- Open the Payment page by tapping on the ‘New Button’
- Select the option of Bill Payment.
- In the next page choose the category of bill Payment.
- From the list select your biller. Tap on the ‘Get Started’ Button.
- Enter the Account number of of your account with the biller. You can find the account number from the bill. Electricity, water, telecom and every other type of the bill has its own account number or ID. You can also give a name to that account for easy identification. Tap on the next button and Again tap for linking the account.
- Once you link the account, you can see the bill after 2 days. In future, you can always check your billed account and pay from here.
Detailed Guide – Google Pay (Tez) Bill Payment Steps [How To]
You can also recharge your mobile through the Google Pay. The repeat recharges are very easy in this app. You would not see any distraction in this app.
- To recharge a mobile number, tap on the New button in the dashboard
- Choose the Mobile recharge option and enter the mobile number.
- The Tez would detect your telecom operator and circle. You can also change it if required.
- Now you can choose the plan. You have also the option to search a plan by typing a keyword.
- Pay the amount using the UPI PIN of your bank account.
Learn in Detail: Mobile Recharge Through Google Pay Tez
Refer a Friend
The Google Pay (Tez) app gives you the opportunity to win ₹101 for referring this app to a friend. You get this amount if the referred person makes the first UPI Transaction through the Tez.
To Refer a Friend, Open the App and Scroll Down to the bottom of the page. You would see the Link to Refer a Friend. As you tap it, you would see a Pop Up with Referral message written on your behalf. It contains the Referral Code. You can see on the screenshot that My Referral Code is pp21z . The referral gives reward to the person who uses the code.
You can edit the message as well. From that pop you can share that message through various means. You would see the share option of Whatsapp, Mail, facebook, SMS etc. Even you can send a person from your contacts. It is very easy.
Scratch card To Win Prizes
Google Pay (Tez) gives you rewards for making transactions through it. You get these rewards in the form of scratch card. By scratching these digital cards you get to know the reward amount. This amount goes directly to your bank account.
- You get the scratch card when you make transactions of ₹150 or more. You can get 3 such cards in a week. The value of the scratch card can go upto ₹1000. However, it can be zero as well.
- You also get a scratch card when you make a bill payment of ₹100 or more. You can get 5 such card in a month. The maximum value of the card would be ₹1000.
- The Tez has also has promotional arrangement with many eCommerce players. When you pay to them using the Tez, you get the scratch card as well. The value is different for each merchant. For details you should check out the offers page of the Tez. It changes frequently.
To check your scratch cards, Open the Google Pay (Tez) app and scroll down. You would see a link of Rewards, tap on it. Now you would see the scratch cards if you have earned one. Scratch the card by rubbing your finger on it. This scratching would disclose the reward amount. Don’t worry this amount would be credited to your bank account. You can’t spend it her.
How To Complain
No system is perfect. There can be some glitches and technical problem with every payment app. The Google Pay user can also face some problem. These can be non-credit, Transaction failure and errors.
To deal with the problems, Google Pay has its own customer support. You can contact this customer support through live chat, ticket and toll-free number. It has also a knowledge base to answer some common queries.
If you have any transaction related query, you can use the inbuilt mechanism to report the problem. It is the easiest and most prompt way to get the solution. Your next step should be the request of a callback. It is a good way of contacting customer support as you are not required to wait for customer executives. As you know that there may be long waiting in the toll-free helpline.
Google Pay (Tez) Toll-Free Helpline Number (For Registered Numbers): 1800 419 0157
Google Pay (Tez) Toll-Free Helpline Number (For Un-Registered Numbers): 1800 258 2554
In this post, I have told you the the way to use the Google Pay(Tez) app. I have also written the detailed guide for some of the tasks. I hope by reading all these post, you would be able to efficiently use the Google Tez app.