You can not expect the current digital economy without the words – UPI PIN, ATM PIN and MPIN. Now there are a very huge number of users of the digital transactions. But most of us do not aware of the meaning of these terms. Even they do not know the full form of UPI, PIN, ATM and MPIN.
So in this article, I am going to tell you what is the meaning of these words? Why are they required? And how are they different from each other? Hence, lets’ start.
Full Form of UPI PIN, ATM PIN and MPIN
Thus firstly we start with the full form of these terms-
- UPI – Unified Payment Interface.
- ATM – Automated Teller Machine
- PIN – Personal Identification Number
- MPIN – Mobile Banking Personal Identification Number
Why Do you Need a PIN?
As it is clear by its name PIN is subject to a unique code which is different for each person. All these PINs are used in digital transactions. It authenticates the person individually.
Because of these PINs No one else can withdraw money from your account. As without entering the right PIN you can not complete the transaction.
Note:- Earlier the MPIN was in use for the transaction through the UPI Apps. But now for the UPI App, you have to set the UPI PIN separately.
These PINs are different from each other and dependent upon their prefix. So let us see the differences among UPI PIN, ATM PIN and MPIN.
Must Read- Tips to Choose a Secure PIN
Main Differences Among the Triplet PINs
Though the use of these PINs is basically the same. But each are used in different type of transaction.
- UPI PIN is used to authenticate the transaction in UPI Apps.
- Whereas you use the MPIN for the Mobile Banking through the Bank App.
- And ATM PIN you use at the ATM Machine to authenticate your card as well as in Point of Sale (POS) and online shopping through the website.
How Do you Get PIN?
- UPI PIN – When you link the bank account in UPI App, then you have to set UPI PIN.
- MPIN- you receive from your bank at the time of registration for the Mobile Banking facility.
- ATM PIN– you set first time when you activate the card of your account.
So UPI PIN and ATM PIN you set by yourself. Whereas Bank issues you the MPIN at your demand. The ATM PIN is 4 digit secret code. While MPIN and UPI PIN may be of 4 or 6 digits.
Suggested – 4 ways to set ATM PIN of SBI Debit card
Also Read – Way To Get UPI PIN without Debit card
Uses of ATM PIN, UPI PIN and MPIN
- When you transact or want to see the account balance through the UPI App you have to enter the UPI PIN.
- But when you transact or want to use the other mobile banking services through your bank app, then you use the MPIN.
- And ATM PIN is for the transaction or balance enquiry at the ATM Machine with the help of ATM card.
Thus for the single account, you have to set the three PINs in different places. For example,
Though you may set the same code for these three PINs, but it should be different for higher security.
Recommended – How to Crate and Change UPI PIN
Change or Reset the PIN
- You can change or reset the UPI PIN through the UPI App only.
- MPIN may be changed by three ways- the Banking app installed in your mobile, ATM and through the branch.
- To reset the ATM PIN you have to visit the ATM machine. You can also do it through the netbanking portal.
Recommended – How To Create and Reset SBI MPIN