Following the launch of Samsung Pay in March 2017, Samsung launched Samsung Pay Mini in June. It is launched to provide digital payment solution to mid-range Samsung devices. Note that Samsung Pay was only launched for high-end Samsung smartphones. Because it needs NFC to work, it was difficult to make it available for mid-range devices. Now, Samsung has come up with a solution to this problem by launching Samsung Pay Mini app. Samsung Pay Mini app was launched for selected Samsung mid-range smartphones. But later Samsung extended its support for more devices. Currently, more than a dozen Samsung smartphones support Samsung Pay Mini.
Recommended: Phones Which Support Samsung Pay
However, Samsung Pay Mini doesn’t have all the features of Samsung Pay app. But still, it is a good payment app to replace mobile wallets.
In this post, I am going to tell you What is Samsung Pay Mini app and how it works. I will also tell you the how to use Samsung Pay Mini and its features.
- 1 What is Samsung Pay Mini App?
- 2 How Samsung Pay Mini App Works?
- 3 Features of Samsung Pay Mini App
- 4 How to use Samsung Pay Mini
- 5 Samsung Pay Mini Supported Devices
- 6 Samsung Pay Mini VS Samsung Pay
What is Samsung Pay Mini App?
Samsung Pay Mini is a digital payment app for selected Samsung smartphones. It offers you to add mobile wallets and bank accounts and pay using them. You can use it to pay at shops and malls. It also allows you to send money to your friends and family.
It gives you the opportunity to make bank-to-bank or wallet-to-wallet payments. It uses UPI platform to provide bank-to-bank payments.
And for wallet payments, you can add your mobile wallet accounts with Samsung Pay Mini app. Currently, it supports only Paytm and Mobikwik. Hopefully, other major wallets will come soon with Samsung Pay Mini.
How Samsung Pay Mini App Works?
Note that, it doesn’t provide you its own wallet facility. Because it is not a mobile wallet app. Instead, it allows you to integrate other wallets with it. After integrating, you can perform digital payments in no time.
Samsung Pay Mini works fine even if you don’t install other mobile apps on your phone. In fact, it doesn’t require you to install those mobile wallet apps such as Paytm separately.
All you need to do is link your mobile wallet using your mobile number or email id. It will also ask you to verify your account using OTP method.
For those who don’t know, UPI is an interface to make instant digital payments. It is also known as BHIM UPI. The government launched it in April 2016. And since then, it has transformed the way of digital payments. And almost every mobile wallet now provide UPI feature in one way or another. BHIM App, PhonePe, BHIM SBI Pay are some major UPI based apps.
Features of Samsung Pay Mini App
Samsung Pay Mini is a unique app with unique features. If you search Google Play Store, you won’t find any alternative app that is similar to Samsung Pay Mini app. Below are some of its major and unique features.
Add Bank Account Through BHIM UPI
Samsung Pay Mini app allows you to make payments using your bank account. It offers this feature using UPI platform. You need to add your bank account using BHIM UPI framework. And after that, you can make instant payments to any other person.
The benefit of this feature is the payments from one bank account to another. Means the payment you make using your bank account is sent to the recipient’s bank account.
Add Multiple Mobile Wallets
Now, you don’t need to install too many mobile wallet apps if you have Samsung Pay Mini. Because you can add multiple mobile wallets in Samsung Pay Mini app.
Currently, it supports adding accounts of Paytm and Mobikwik wallet apps. You can add more than one user accounts from both these mobile wallets. And with the help of these accounts, you can send money to anyone having accounts on these wallets.
However, you can use these wallets only to send money. Other mobile wallet services such as recharges or bill payments are not available in Samsung Pay Mini. Samsung is planning to add more wallet companies in this app.
Pay using Mobile Number, UPI ID or QR Code
Since Samsung Pay Mini uses UPI for bank-to-bank payments. Hence you can use UPI ID (VPA) or BHIM QR code for payments. You can also use the mobile number to make the payment from your bank account. However, this mobile number should be registered with BHIM UPI.
You can also make payments using QR code even if you use your wallet for payments. Just scan the QR code of the same wallet company that you are going to use for payment. For example, if you find a Paytm QR code in a shop, you can use Paytm to pay. And in case of Mobikwik QR code, you must use Mobikwik account to make payments.
Fast, Simple and Secure Payments
Samsung Pay Mini offers fast, simple and secure payments. It saves all your mobile wallets and bank accounts in form of cards. You can use any of these cards for making payments. All you need to just swipe up from the bottom of the home screen of the app. And choose your preferred card for the payment by swiping left or right.
You can also access these cards from your phone’s home screen. All you need to unlock your device and then swipe up from the bottom of the screen. You might be able to see a faded card at the bottom of the screen. You need to swipe this card up and complete the payment in just a couple of finger taps.
The app is very light-weight, so it launches fast and works smooth. It also has a very simple user interface so that any first-time can also make payments without any hassle.
It also uses your PIN along with fingerprint scanning to unlock the app.
How to use Samsung Pay Mini
Many of you think that using payment based apps is difficult. And for some apps such as Paytm and Freecharge, it is true too. But if we talk about Samsung Pay Mini app, it is relatively easy. You can even access the app from the lock screen. Just swipe from the bottom of the screen. However, if you need assistance, below are the steps to use Samsung Pay Mini.
How to Activate Samsung Pay Mini App
Samsung Pay Mini app comes preinstalled on almost all the supported Samsung smartphones. But, if your phone doesn’t have it, update your phone’s software to the latest version. After the update, you will get the Samsung Pay Mini icon in app’s drawer.
- When you click on the icon, it may ask you to download and install additional app data. Tap on continue to let it finish downloading and installing.
- After successful installation, it will show you the app info pages. Click on skip to go to the sign-in page.
- Here, you will need to log into the app using your Samsung account details. If you don’t have a Samsung account, then you must create one to use the app.
- After you complete the login process, it will ask you to choose a method to secure the app. You can either use your fingerprint or your Samsung account PIN for this.
- If you choose fingerprint, it will prompt you to verify your fingerprint using the fingerprint sensor. And if you choose Samsung PIN, it will prompt you to confirm the PIN. If you created the account while activating the app, it may ask you to set your Samsung account PIN.
- After you complete the verification process, your app gets activated. Now, you can add your bank accounts and mobile wallets to make payments.
How to add Bank Account in Samsung Pay Mini
As I already told you, Samsung Pay Mini uses BHIM UPI platform to enable the bank to bank payments. Hence, you need to add your bank account using UPI in Samsung Pay Mini app.
- Launch the Samsung Pay Mini app and tap on the UPI option at the center of the screen.
- The app will then ask you to set your UPI ID. Keep it short, easy and memorable. Samsung Pay Mini uses ***@pingpay UPI extension in the UPI IDs. Click on next after setting desired UPI ID.
- Now, choose the SIM you want to use with Samsung Pay Mini.
- Samsung Pay Mini will then verify your number. After verification, it will present you the list of UPI enabled banks.
- Choose your bank and tap on next. Now, the app will find your bank account that is associated with the mobile number. If you only have one account, it will select it automatically. But if you have more than one, it will ask you to choose one to use with the app.
- Now, your bank account is active and you can use it to make payments.
You should use the number that is registered with your bank account. Also, you must put that SIM card on your phone before adding account. If you don’t put it, then you will not be able to add your account. Because, to provide enhanced security, UPI only works when you put that number on the phone.
How to Make Payment using Bank Accounts
Samsung Pay Mini allows you to make payments by either scanning the QR code or entering the payments details. Below are the steps to make payments using bank accounts in Samsung Pay Mini app.
- Launch the app and then swipe from the bottom of the screen to access the cards. You can also swipe from the home screen of your phone to access the cards without launching the app.
- Swipe left or right to find your desired card. Now, tap on the ‘Scan Code’ or ‘Send’ button given on the card.
- If you choose ‘scan code’ option, then you need to point your camera towards the BHIM QR code. The app will scan the code for the payment details. You won’t need to enter these details manually.
- But if you choose send option, you will need to enter the UPI ID of the recipient. You can also choose the recipient from your contacts. If the recipient does not have a UPI ID, you can send money using IFSC and account number. In this case, you need to enter recipient’s name, IFSC and account number.
- Enter the amount and notes and click next. The app will then ask you to confirm the details. Read the details and click on send.
- Now, you need to enter your UPI PIN to complete the transaction. After you enter correct UPI PIN, your payment will be completed.
How to Add Mobile Wallets
Mobile wallet payments are easier than bank account payments in Samsung Pay Mini app. But, you need to add money to these wallets for payments. Below are the steps to add a mobile wallet in Samsung Pay Mini app.
- Launch the Samsung Pay Mini app and tap on the wallet option.
- Tap on the wallet company you want to use. Currently, you can link Paytm and Mobikwik with Samsung Pay Mini.
- Now, enter your mobile number that is registered with the wallet company. In case you don’t have a wallet account, you can register for it using the same process. Click on next after entering the mobile number.
- Now, the app will verify your mobile number using OTP. If the mobile number you entered is on the same phone, it will automatically detect OTP. And if it is on another phone, then you need enter OTP manually.
- Tap next after entering the OTP and your wallet will be linked. Now, you can use Samsung Pay Mini for wallet payments.
You can add as many Paytm and Mobikwik wallet accounts as you want. Follow the same process every time you want to add a mobile wallet account in Samsung Pay Mini app.
How To Make Payment Using Mobile Wallets
No matter you pay with UPI or wallet, the initial process is similar. You need to open the card of the wallet account and then tap on the desired option. Following are the steps to pay using mobile wallets in Samsung Pay Mini.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the home screen/ lock screen or app’s screen to access the cards.
- Swipe left or right to find the card you want to use.
- Tap on the send or scan code button given on the card. If you choose scan code button, you have to scan the QR code provided by the recipient. This feature comes handy while paying at shops.
- If you choose send option, enter the mobile number of the recipient. You can also choose the recipient from your contact list.
- Enter the amount and notes and hit next to send.
- The app will then ask for Samsung PIN or your fingerprint as per your preference to verify your identity.
- After successful verification, your payment will be completed.
How To Remove Samsung Pay Mini
It is not easy to uninstall Samsung Pay Mini. It is a bloatware which comes with the Samsung Mobile phones. Hence, you can’t remove it normally. However, there is a workaround to remove the Samsung Pay app.
Samsung Pay Mini Supported Devices
Samsung wants to use Samsung Pay Mini as a premium buying factor in its smartphones. That is why it isn’t making Samsung Pay Mini available for every Samsung smartphone.
Earlier Samsung released it for only three devices Galaxy J7 Max, Galaxy J7 Prime, and Galaxy J7 (2016). But later, it released Samsung Pay Mini for other 10 devices one by one. Currently, 13 Samsung smartphones support Samsung Pay Mini. Below are the names of all of those.
- Galaxy J7 Nxt
- Galaxy J7 Max
- Galaxy J7 Prime
- Galaxy J5 Prime
- Galaxy J7 2016
- Galaxy J7 2015
- Galaxy On Max
- Galaxy On8
- Galaxy On Nxt
- Galaxy On5 2016
- Galaxy S6
- Galaxy S6 Edge
- Galaxy C9 Pro
Samsung Pay Mini VS Samsung Pay
Since Samsung Pay Mini is the lite version of Samsung Pay, it is short on features too. Samsung Pay Mini doesn’t let you add credit/debit cards. It means you won’t get the facility of paying through your card as you get on Samsung Pay.
Samsung Pay uses NFC and MST to mimic a card and transmit card details to supported POS machines. Hence, if a handset doesn’t have NFC or MST, Samsung Pay won’t work in it. That is why Samsung Pay is released for high-end phones that have NFC and MST.
And for those handsets that don’t have these, Samsung launched Samsung Pay Mini. And Samsung Pay Mini keeps almost all the features of Samsung Pay except payments using cards.
Both Samsung Pay and Samsung Pay Mini have UPI and mobile wallet support. If you don’t use cards for most of your payments, you won’t feel much difference using any of these.