Finally, HDFC Bank has adopted the UPI payment system. It means the HDFC bank customer can also pay to any person without knowing his/her bank account number. The UPI has changed the way we pay. Most of the banks have adopted the UPI, But HDFC bank has been some late. The HDFC bank has integrated the UPI into its existing mobile banking app. It has not included the UPI yet into its ‘chiller’ and ‘PayZapp’ app. The chiller app is an HDFC bank mobile wallet for the customer of any bank. Since UPI is not integrated with HDFC bank wallets, the customer of other banks can’t use the HDFC bank mobile application.
With the HDFC bank, almost every big private bank has adopted the UPI payment system. Now we are waiting for SBI UPI App and Bank of Baroda. However, the ICICI UPI APP is Launched in the beginning. The ICICI Bank has given the facility of UPI in its Pockets app as well. Any bank customer can use the pockets app.
Features of HDFC UPI app
The HDFC UPI app is user-friendly and convenient. It took about 10 minutes to download and transfer money through the HDFC bank UPI app. These are the features of UPI-based app of HDFC bank.
Fund Transfer Without the Bank Account
It is the standard feature of a UPI app. Thus, the HDFC UPI app also gives you the facility to pay money without knowing the bank account number. Instead of the bank account number, you can use the virtual payment address.
Virtual Payment Address System
The VPA is a unique address given to every person who registers into a UPI app. The people, who download the HDFC UPI app would be able to create the VPA of his choice. The suffix of the VPA would be @HDFCbank.
Collect Money Through the VPA
You can also collect money from a person who uses the UPI app. By giving the VPA of the person you can ask an amount through the UPI app. The UPI app of that person would notify about the payment. The person can pay the amount immediately.
Pay To Merchant
Through the HDFC app, you can pay at departmental stores and shops without using cash or card. The merchant can use the collect money facility to get money from you.
Create VPA as much as you want
You can create the virtual payment address as much as you want. There is no restriction. You can give different VPA to different people. You can also delete a VPA if required. It makes your account fully secure.
Integrated UPI app
The HDFC Bank has not created a separate app for UPI. Rather It is included in its existing mobile app. You should see an option of UPI transaction. Going through this option, you can enjoy the benefits of UPI.
HDFC UPI app – How To Use
To use the UPI-based app of HDFC bank you have to download the HDFC Mobile banking app. It is the basic app for HDFC bank customers. This app is available for android, iOs, and windows platform. However, UPI functionality is available only for the android app. Soon there would be an HDFC UPI app for iOS as well.
- Download the HDFC Mobile banking app from the google play. Install it in your smartphone.
- Open the app. To access the HDFC mobile banking app you need 4 digit PIN. This pin is different from the ATM PIN. You can set a PIN immediately by giving your customer ID and mobile number. Once, the given mobile number matches with current mobile and bank records, you would be able to set the PIN.
- Alternatively, You can also directly go to the UPI platform. It is given at the bottom of the front page.
- In the next page, you have to register for UPI. You have to choose a virtual payment address. It is similar to the email address. Give your name, select the secret question and give the answer.
- The bank would be, obviously, HDFC bank as there is no another option. tap on the Next button.
- Now You have to choose the bank account number which would be used for the given account number. This step is required as you may have more than one account in HDFC bank.
- After the registration for UPI, you have to set the MPIN. This MPIN is required whenever you transfer money to another account using the UPI platform. This MPIN gives you another level of security. This level of security is missing in mobile wallets.
- To set the MPIN, you have to give your debit card details. It is used once to set the MPIN only. It would be further required only when you want to reset the MPIN. With this, UPI registration and MPIN setting are complete. This was the one time process.
- To pay money to a person again tap on the ‘UPI’ . Select one of the payment options. You can perform these tasks through the UPI.
- Pay to a virtual Payment address of any bank
- Pay to a bank account by using an account number and IFSC code.
- Collect money from another virtual payment address.
- Check the transaction status.
Pay Money to VPA
- Open the mobile banking app of the HDFC bank.
- Tap on the UPI option given at the bottom of the front page.
- Choose the payment to virtual payment address.
- Again Select the VPA option. There are other options as well. Aadhaar option was not working.
- Choose the bank account and enter the VPA of the payee. The next field would automatically fill the name of the payee.
- Give a description and enter the desired amount. Tap on the ‘Pay’.
Finally, enter the MPIN as a final confirmation. As you submit the MPIN, the money gets transferred to the bank account of the Payee.
Pay Money To Bank Account
You can also transfer money to bank account immediately. The bank account should be registered with your account. However, you can immediately register the bank account as well. The process is similar.
The UPI system also gives you the facility to ask money from someone. Follow these steps.
Choose the ‘collect money’ options among the UPI transactions.
Enter the VPA of the person who would give you the money.
Note. the person should have installed the UPI-based app.
The person would get a notification of the collect money. He has to approve it or reject it.
If the person approves your collect request, you would immediately get the money.
This post was about the UPI App of the HDFC bank. I hope you often use the UPI for fund transfer. You can also use the UPI app of ICICI Bank. It is also a good one. You can learn more about the UPI and get the answers to your questions related to UPI app.