Gradually and steadily Google Pay (Tez) is growing. Along with the fund transfer, now you can recharge mobile, pay bills, Book Train Ticket, buy gold and Order Food. Moreover, Google Pay rewards you for using these services. In May 20019, there have been 240 million UPI transactions through Google Pay. The Paytm was a tad behind with the 230 million UPI transfers.
In this post, I will discuss the services of Google Pay. I hope, You have already downloaded the Google Pay (Tez) App and make registration. Note there is a separate Google Pay app for the global customers, It doesn’t have the UPI fund transfer facility. Before going to the features of Google Pay, we must know the charges.
1. Charges of Google Pay
The Google Pay does not charge anything for the fund transfer, Bill payment or any other services. The customers get all the facilities free of cost. However, It may be charging from the billers such as telecom company and DTH for facilitating the payment. It should not bother you.
In fact, UPI fund transfer is free. Most of the UPI Apps and Banks do not charge for this service to promote the digital transaction through their platform. However, in future, there can be a nominal cost for the fund transfer. Some of the Banks (e. g. Kotak Mahindra Bank ) started to charge if the number of transactions exceeds the limit. However, you can be relaxed for Google Pay as there would not be any charge in the near future. Even this app is rewarding for using its services.
More About Charges of UPI
2. Send Money to Family and Friends
This is the basic feature of Google Pay. The App uses the UPI Fund transfer service by the NPCI. It has collaborated with the 4 banks to give this service. These banks are SBI, ICICI, HDFC Bank and Axis Bank. The collaboration with the bank is necessary as UPI fund transfer can happen only through the banks. The money gets transferred between the bank account.
When you send money using the Google Pay, the money debits from one account and credits to another account. The transaction is performed between the banks. Google Pay acts only as a facilitator.
To send money through the Google Pay, you can use the mobile number, UPI ID or bank account number of the beneficiary. you can also choose beneficiary from your contacts. All those contacts who are using Google Pay would be listed in the app. So there are various ways to select the beneficiary.
Choose beneficiary and enter the amount along with the description. To complete the fund transfer, you must enter the UPI PIN. This PIN is required to authenticate the payment. A UPI PIN is set for each bank account. A UPI PIN can be used in any of the UPI apps for the same bank account. You can set and Reset UPI PIN through the Google Pay itself.
When you use Google Pay first time, you get a cash reward in your bank account.
3. Request Money
You can also ask money from someone by using the Google Pay App. This is a special feature of the UPI fund transfer platform, used by this app. So, if you want some money from your friend or customer, enter the contact number or UPI ID and tap on the Request button.
This step would send a notification to the person. If the person wishes to pay the asked amount, he/she can immediately approve the amount by authenticating the payment. This authentication requires UPI PIN.
This service is quite useful for the merchants to ask for the payment.
4. Pay To Merchants
Today, it has become very easy to pay merchants because of the UPI App. The UPI App also reads the QR code to identify the beneficiary. Thus, merchants paste their QR code in their counter. The customer would scan that code for the immediate payment.
When you scan the QR code, your UPI app would show the name of the beneficiary. After the verification, you can enter the amount and approve the payment by entering the UPI PIN. The process is quite fast and often takes less time than the cash transaction.
Today, Phonepe, Google Pay and Paytm are providing the QR code stickers free of cost to the merchants. The new QR codes are interoperable and you can use Google Pay or any other UPI App the make payment.
5. Recharge Mobile
No, you don’t need to visit the mobile recharge point. You can do it yourself through Google Pay. The app shows all the plans and rental. Thus you can easily choose the plan and pay it immediately. The money is directly debited from your account.
- To pay for mobile recharge, Tap on ‘New’ and Choose the Mobile Recharge Option.
- Enter the desired mobile number. The system would fetch the network details of that mobile number. If it is correct, proceed for plan selection. Else, edit the network operator and then view Plans.
- Once you select the recharge amount tap for the Payment. Now you would see the linked account from where the money would be deducted. Proceed to Pay and enter the UPI PIN. This step completes the recharge process.
6. Pay Bills
You can also pay a bill through Google Pay. The bill payment facility of this app is powered by the Bharat Bill Payment System. This is also an initiative of the NPCI. In this service, you can see your billed amount and pay it from there. To avail this service, you have to enter the customer ID or any other number associated with your Bill.
As you register the biller, Google Pay would fetch the current outstanding amount. The payment process is similar to Recharge.
You can also see the Billed amount and payment history of your registered biller. Note, It may take 1-2 days to reflect your payment in the Google Pay.
Recommended: How To Pay SBI Credit Card Bill Online
7. Book Train Ticket
This is a new service from Google Pay. The process is simple and you must try it. However, you must have the user ID and Password of the IRCTC portal. If you are not registered at the IRCTC portal, you can register from here.
I would not suggest booking a Tatkal Ticket through this App. Even you should avoid this app for booking Train Ticket during 10 AM to 12 AM. As there can be server problems.
- When you use the Rail Ticket Booking, you would be asked to enter your journey details. As you enter the destination, date and quota, Google Pay would fetch the train list and class of tickets.
- As you tap on the desired train, the system would show the availability in all the classes. Select the class and proceed to enter the passenger details.
- Now enter your IRCTC user ID and Passenger details. Tap on Continue.
- Now you have to see all the details. If everything is correct tap on the ‘confirm’.
- Now, you have to select the payment method.
- In this step, you must enter the UPI PIN to authenticate the payment.
- In the last step, you have to enter the IRCTC password and Captcha.
- This completed the train ticket booking. The ticket details would be on the resultant page.
8. Buy Digital Gold Through Google Pay
Now Google Pay also gives you the facility to buy the Digital Gold. The Paytm and Phonepe also give this facility. In fact, all these apps work only as a facilitator. You buy digital gold from MMTC-PAMP. This company imports the majority of gold which is further sold to bullion traders.
When you buy Gold through the Google Pay, it forwards your order to the MMTC-PAMP. In return, the MMTC-PAMP buy gold for you and stores in a secured and insured vault.
Thus, you finally buy digital gold from the MMTC-PAMP. But, Google Pay keeps all the record of your transaction and you can sell it only through this app. The same process is also used in case of Paytm and Phonepe. You can buy gold for as little as ₹1.
The Google Pay does not give you the delivery of Digital Gold while Paytm and Phonepe give you the option to get the delivery of more than 1 gram gold.
9. Order Food
Google Pay has made an arrangement with many food delivery services. You can view their menu and prices through Google Pay. You can place your order after selecting the required food items. The similar arrangements are also made with other businesses. Google Pay directs you to the websites of these businesses. The transactions with them can be seen in the Google Pay app. You can also contact the business through the app.
10. Link Bank Account Through Google Pay
As I have said in the beginning that Google uses UPI for sending money and all types of fund transfer. The UPI transfers money from one account to another. Thus, Google Pay app should know your account number so that It can send an instruction to the correct Bank account number.
That is why you have to link your bank account number with Google Pay. This is a primary step and you can’t make any fund transfer without linking a bank account. You can link more than one account but there would be one default account for the transaction. You can change the default account anytime.
Steps of Linking Bank Account
- Open the Google Pay and Tap on your photo at the top left corner. It would open your Account and profile section.
- Tap on the ‘Payment methods’ within the Account section.
- Tap on the Link ‘ Add Bank Account’
- Choose the Bank. The Google Pay would send an SMS to NPCI whether your mobile number is registered with any HDFC Bank Account Number. If yes, you would see the Bank Account number.
- The bank Account gets linked to your Google Pay app. Now you can receive Payment through this app, Any amount sent to your mobile number or UPI ID would come to this account number.
11. Set or Reset UPI PIN
To make a payment to some other person, you need a UPI PIN. If you have not already set UPI PIN for the Account, you can do it here.
The UPI PIN is set for a bank Account. This PIN remains same in different UPI apps for the same bank account. If you change UPI PIN for a bank account, it gets changed for every UPI App. Thus, if you have already set an UPI PIN for a bank account, you should not set it again.
Even, Google Pay informs you whether you have set UPI PIN for the bank account or not.
Steps of Setting UPI PIN
- To set UPI PIN, you have to reach to your listed bank account number. You can go to it through the Account sections. Read, the steps for linking a bank account.
- When you see you linked bank account number, just tap over it. Now you would see several options for example balance check, Set UPI PIN and Change UPI PIN.
- Choose the required option and go through the Authentication process.
- To set or reset UPI PIN, you have to give your debit card details. Without a debit card, you can set a UPI PIN. Thus you would not be able to use Google Pay.
- Enter last 6 digits of UPI PIN, expiry date and OTP received on your mobile number. After the authentication, you can set a new UPI PIN. Remember it for making payments in the future. You require this PIN for the balance check as well.
This was all about Google Pay (Tez). For the download and registration, you should read my previous post on this topic. I hope, you would have liked this post.