Autopay facility is a process, through which you can pay your Bills and recurring payments automatically, without any extra effort.
When you open an RD account, every month, the money gets transferred from your saving account to RD Account. Similarly, the SIP investment is an automatic process. Now, Mobile apps have given the same facility to your bill payments. It is termed as the AutoPay.
Like Standing Instructions, the Autopay facility pays your bills before the due date on your behalf. This happens every month without your interference.
Benefits of Bill Autopay
Now let us see how the autopay facility makes our lives easy.
- The autopay requires one-time effort. Further payments are automatic.
- There is no need to remember due dates of the Utility bills and recurring payments.
- No chances of any error like, ‘payment of less or excess amount’.
- You can dwell on other issues because the autopay system works on your behalf.
- No chance of delayed payment. Hence forget about late fees.
- The Autopay uses only the debit card or credit card for the payment hence there is a less chance of fraud.
- You can set autopay for all your dues or a few of them.
- You can change your preferred payment mode from debit card to credit card or vice versa.
- Generally, you get a reminder one day before the due date. Then you would have the option to deny payment or manual payment.
- You can stop the Autopay facility anytime. Thus you have to full control.
Must Read: Now Subscribe an IPO through UPI App
Limitations of Autopay
Apart from the benefits, it has some limitations as well.
- Apps are allowing only debit and credit card payment instruments at present. However, Phonepe is permitting UPI method also, but it is for the IPO service only.
- Present time the apps are supporting only limited billers for automatic payment like mobile postpaid, electricity, gas, ola ride. However, the apps are continuously working on this issue.
- To set up autopay you have to pay the bill manually through the app for the first time. You can not set autopay without paying the bill.
- Autopay set up is so easy. But the removing of this setting is a little lengthy process.
- Sometimes the autopay system fails due to technical reason. Thus, if it happens, you may miss your due date and may be you have to pay a late fee.
How to Set Autopay
Now let us talk about the procedure of setting up the autopay system. The procedure is approximately the same in all types of payment apps whether it is Phonepe or Paytm. You have to make a payment for the first time. Then you can set up the autopay for further payments of that bill.
Or you can go through the Transaction History. From there you can set the autopay. Let us see the setting of autopay facility in major payment apps one by one-
The Setting of Autopay in Phonepe
- Go to My Money tab at the bottom of the home page
- Click on Autopay
- Add new autopay
- Select the service provider
- Enter your debit or credit card details, Click on Proceed
- Enter the OTP received. Rs. 5 will be debited from your account.
- ₹5 will be debited each time when you save a card for the autopay. This is a procedure of authentication of your card. After successful authentication, The amount will be reversed.
- For the one time payment mandate via UPI, you have to pre-authorise Phonepe. For the IPO service in Phonepe via UPI, your bank blocks the amount in your account to pay on the due date.
Automatic Payment Setting in Paytm
- Tap on three parallel lines at top left corner of the home page
- Tap on My Payment Settings
- Now tap on Automatic Payments
- Here you will see the automatic setting of Recharge and Bill Payments section with other sections as well
- Click on Recharge and Bill Payments option
- Now select your bill to be paid automatically or add a new bill
- Add a new card to link with automatic payment of that bill
- Paytm will add ₹1 to your Paytm wallet using the card to verify it and authorize the automatic bill payment
- Click on Proceed and enter the debit or credit card details
- Click on Save and activate the automatic payment of the bill
Useful Post – Paytm Vs Phonpe? Which is a Better Mobile App
The setting or activation of autopay in Airtel Payment Bank
- Tap on More button. It is at the bottom of the home page
- Click on Settings
- Click on Payment settings
- Tap on Auto-pay
- Your earlier payment list will be open
- Choose one or more.
- Tap on Enable to activate the autopay against only your wallet/ payment bank savings account.
In Google Pay and BHIM App
Both the apps don’t have the autopay facility. However, they have the reminder facility. So, you can link your bill payment with the reminder section. At the due date, the app will inform you to pay the dues manually.
The Reminder section reminds you to pay the bill, but it does not pay itself. However, the payment apps which have the autopay facility, reminds the bill as well.