BHIM SBI pay is the UPI App promoted by the State Bank of India. You would know that SBI is the biggest bank of India and Indians have trust upon this bank. That is why many people want to use the BHIM SBI Pay instead of the Paytm, Google Pay or Phonepe.
All these Payment apps including the BHIM SBI Pay uses the Unified Payment System (UPI) to make payments. This payment system is the fastest and cheapest. A payment app made by a bank or third party company can adopt this platform. Today no payment app can afford to miss the UPI.
1. The UPI App of the SBI
There is a specific app of the SBI Dedicated to the UPI fund transfer. The name of this app is BHIM SBI Pay. Earlier it was only SBI Pay. There are other mobile applications of the SBI such as YONO lite and YONO. These apps also give you the facility of the UPI Payments. But the BHIM SBI App is still useful to many.
i. Advantages of SBI Pay
- It is very simple and straight forward.
- You can instantly make payments without any distractions.
- It takes less time to make payment through the SBI Pay instead of the YONO.
- The SBI Pay is more secure as you have to enter the PIN to access this app.
- You don’t need internet banking activated to use this app.
- Even Non-SBI customers can also use SBI Pay
ii. Requirement For BHIM SBI Pay
- To use the BHIM SBI Pay, you must have a bank account.
- The Bank account should have an active debit card. Without a debit card, you can’t use the SBI Pay or any other UPI App. A debit card is mandatory to set the UPI PIN.
- A mobile number should be registered with the bank account
- You must have the smartphone to use the app.
2. How to Download and Register BHIM SBI Pay
i. Download and Installation
The SBI Pay app is available for the iPhone and Android users. As usual, you can find this app from the App store or Play store. After the download and installation, you have to go through one-time registration.
Never try to use the APK of the SBI Pay. Rather download the latest version of the app from the Play Store. Note, It doesn’t have an app for the Windows platform. So don’t try to install it at your PC. Your effort would go in vain. You can’t use a UPI App without the linked mobile number.
The SBI Pay app registration has following 4 steps
- Choose Your Language
- Give permissions for SMS
- Mobile Number Validation
- Setting Login PIN
3. Linking Bank Account to SBI Pay
To use BHIM SBI Pay, you have to link your bank account with this app. You can link the bank account of any bank. The SBI Bank account is not necessary. You can link more than one account with a UPI app. The same is also applicable for the SBI Pay. But all the bank account should have same registered mobile number.
- The bank account linking process is very easy. You have to just choose your bank from the given list.
- As you choose the bank the system would fetch the bank account details. If you have more than one bank account in the same bank, you would see the details of all the accounts.
- This completes the bank account linking. In the next step, you have to set a UPI PIN for every bank account.
- You can use the same step to link another bank account.
4. Set UPI PIN at BHIM SBI Pay
The UPI app gives you the facility of instant payment. This payment is authenticated by the UPI PIN. It means, the payments gets through only after you enter the UPI PIN. This PIN is independent of the UPI App. Rather, it is linked to your bank account. The UPI PIN of a bank account can be used in any of the UPI App.
However, you can set or reset the UPI PIN of a bank account through the SBI Pay. If you have not already set UPI PIN of your linked bank account, you set it here. The steps are given below.
- Open your BHIM SBI App by entering the login PIN.
- Tap on the menu (3 parallel lines) which is given at top left corner.
- Go to the My Account section. You would see your linked bank account in this section.
- You would also find a link to set/Reset the UPI PIN. Tap on that link.
- Now choose the type of debit card (Visa, Master, Rupay or Maestro) and enter your last 6 digits of the debit card.
- Enter the validity of the debit card. But the Maestro card doesn’t have the validity. So when you choose the Maestro, the validity filed disappears.
- In the final step, you have to enter the OTP received in your registered mobile number. Enter that OTP and new UPI PIN as well. This completes the setting of UPI PIN. The same method is also used in case you forget the UPI PIN.
5. Make Payment Through the SBI Pay
Once you link the bank account and set the UPI PIN, You are good to make payments. The payment can be made to your friend, family or merchants. Even you can pay the utility bills.
There are many ways to choose the beneficiary. for example, you can choose them from contact or enter the beneficiary UPI ID/VPA. You can also scan the QR code. Even, you can enter the account number and IFSC code.
i. Money Transfer to Friend or Family
- In the payment page, you can choose any of the ways to put beneficiary details.
- Next, you have to enter the amount to be paid.
- Now, you can choose the bank account from which the money would be debited if you have more than one account.
- After proceeding to the next step, you have to enter the UPI PIN for final authentication.
- Once you enter the correct UPI PIN, the payment takes place immediately.
- You and beneficiary both would receive the SMS from your bank.
ii. Payment To Merchant
To pay the merchant who has QR code at his shop, just tap on the ‘Scan’ which has QR code symbol above it. Scan the QR code of the merchant. After the successful scan, you BHIM SBI Pay app would show the name of the beneficiary. Now enter the amount and UPI PIN to complete the transaction.
iii. Recharge or Bill Payment
You can easily recharge your mobile through the SBI Pay. Moreover, You can also pay your electricity, water, DTH and Gas bill. This facility is available for Delhi, Mumbai, begaluru and all other cities. In fact, today most of the utility service provider has joined the Bharat Bill Payment System. This BBPS system is used to pay bills through the UPI Apps. Indeed, all the UPI Apps use this system for bill payments.
You can find the links for recharge and bill payment in dashboard of the BHIM SBI Pay. Tap on the desired service.
Now you have to give details of your service. It is different for each type of service that is why I am not going into details. I hope you would do that yourself. If you face any problem, use the comments section for the query.
6. Charges of BHIM SBI Pay
There are no free lunches! If a service transfers money from one account to another, there must be a charge. Such as all other fund transfer methods charge a fee. As NEFT, IMPS and RTGS charge a fee for making payments.
But, As of today, the BHIM SBI Pay or any other UPI App does not charge a paisa for the UPI Fund transfer. It is unbelievable but true. All the parties involved in UPI fund transfers are forgoing their cost. The NPCI which runs the whole UPI System does not charge from the banks. The banks and UPI App makers also do not charge for their services. All of the players are not charging for their services as they want to promote the UPI App. Thus, the fund transfer through the BHIM SBI App is totally Free.
Moreover, the cost of the BHIM SIMBIUPI Transaction is very low. Hence, banks and App makers can afford to lose money for some years. However, there may be some cost in the future. So, You would have to pay for it. As The Kotak Mahindra Bank has started charging after 5 transactions in a day.
7. Transaction limits of the BHIM SBI Pay
Many of UPI users face the transaction limits. Indeed there is a limit on money transfers. Overall there are three types of limit on SBI Pay Transactions. You should keep these limits in mind while transacting through the BHIM SBI Pay.
- Maximum Amount For a Fund Transfer
- Total Amount Permitted in a day
- Maximum Number of transactions in a day
The UPI Payment system has set these limits for every app. Besides the limit of UPI system, the app can also set its own sub-limit. However, the BHIM SBI has not set its own limit. Hence, the UPI system limits are applicable in this case.
In the BHIM SBI Pay, you can send maximum ₹1 lakh in a transaction. The total fund transfer amount in a day can’t exceed ₹1 lakh. On the other hand, you can do a maximum of 10 UPI Transactions in a day.
Also Read- Why Do You See the message of Limit Exceeded
8. BHIM SBI Pay Customer Care
Like any other online system, there can be some problem in fund transfer. The most common issue is the non-credit of amount. The money get deducted from the sender’s account but does not go to reciever’s account. This problem puts the user in frenzy. But, you should not panic as in most of the cases the money gets back into your account within 7 days.
If you still do not get back money in 7 days, you can call the customer care of the SBI Pay. You would find the customer care contact number from the App itself. Do not ever use the number from any other source. As many fake customer care numbers are floating on the internet. Beware of such number. The fraudsters may cheat you. I have also written a detailed post on customer support of the SBI Pay. You can read that post for the detailed information.
9. FAQ of SBI Pay
It is not possible to stop transaction once you submit the UPI PIN. The money transfer takes place instantly. However, you can contact the beneficiary through your bank to request a refund. It depends upon the beneficiary to honor the request.
Yes! UPI payment system works 24*7 on all the 365 days of the year. There is no effect of the holiday or closings.
To track a transaction open the BHIM SBI App and go the History Section. In the history section you would see all the past transaction. On tapping the transaction, you would be able to see details.
If you change the mobile number, the link between your account and the mobile number would break. But, you would be able to change the mobile number and use the accounts linked to a new mobile number.
In case, there is a change in the phone, you have to download the BHIM SBI App again.
As, BHIM SBI PIN require the login PIN, No one else would be able to open the app. Moreover, another person would not be able to send money without the UPI PIN. There two level security in SBI Pay.
No, Since, the money goes directly to the bank account of the beneficiary hence he/she does not need the SBI Pay or any other UPI App.