Every merchant faces one common problem that is lack of change money. And you can overcome it with BHIM merchant account. It eliminates the problem of finding change. Also, it saves your time so you can give more time to other customers. Here in this post, I am going to tell you how you can register for BHIM merchant account. I will also tell you about the charges and limit of BHIM merchant transactions.
What is BHIM Merchant Account
BHIM merchant account is actually an account for merchants or shopkeepers. If you are a shopkeeper, you can register for BHIM merchant account. And then you can use BHIM to receive payments from your customers. Along with that you also get the opportunity to participate in BHIM cashback scheme for merchants. This way you can get some extra cash benefits with BHIM.
You just need to generate a BHIM payment request to customers using their VPA or mobile number. This way they can pay you faster. Moreover, you can also write down your VPA, mobile number along with QR code on a poster. Paste this poster outside of your shop so that you don’t need to generate payment requests every time.
How To Register
Let me tell you that you don’t need to install a separate app for BHIM merchant account. You just need to register yourself as a merchant in the main BHIM app. First of all, you need to download the BHIM app and install it on your phone.
Keep in mind that you should only install BHIM app from trusted sites. I suggest you install BHIM for Android devices from Google Play Store. And if you have an iPhone then install BHIM using only Apple’s iTunes store.
Below are the steps to register for BHIM merchant account. Here I am going to explain it from the very first step that is activating the BHIM app. But in case you already have an activated BHIM app. Then you can directly jump to how to register as a merchant section.
Activating BHIM app
- Launch the BHIM app and choose the language. You can choose from 13 languages including English, Hindi, Bangla, Tamil, Marathi and Urdu etc. Tap next after choosing the language.
- Now you will see the info pages of BHIM. Tap on next 2-3 times and allow BHIM to access some of your phone services.
- In the next step, choose the SIM that is registered with your bank account. Hit next button at the bottom of the screen. Now, BHIM will send a one time message to verify the number and register your device with BHIM server.
- After successful number verification, you need to set a passcode for the BHIM app.
- Now, choose your bank from the list and then choose your account if you have more than one. And done. BHIM app is now activated on your phone. Now, you may need to set UPI PIN. If you want to know how to set or change BHIM UPI PIN, read this post.
Registering as a Merchant
- Launch BHIM app on your phone and enter the passcode to authenticate.
- Tap on the three dots icon on the top right corner of the BHIM’s home screen.
- Now tap on the ‘I Am A Merchant’ option from the menu.
- In the next page, you have to enter merchant details. These include your business name, contact number, merchant category and merchant address with state and PIN code. Tap on the proceed button after entering all the details.
- Confirm the details in next page and you are done. Your BHIM merchant account registration is complete and your account is now live.
How to receive money
Do you know BHIM is one of the most convenient solutions to get payments? It allows a merchant to receive payments using a variety of methods. These include mobile number, VPA and QR code. You can simply tell your VPA or mobile number to the customer to get payments.
But, there is a more safe and convenient way for receiving payments. You can just generate a payment request to the customer. Moreover, you can paste your BHIM QR code outside your shop. Then tell customers to scan the QR code and make payment.
Request money Through VPA, mobile number
- Open BHIM app and enter your four digit passcode to access it.
- BHIM app has three main buttons along with some other options on its home screen.
- Tap on the Request button that is in the middle of the other two buttons.
- Now, enter customers VPA aka UPI ID or mobile number. Then tap on verify option next to input box.
- It will verify that the number or UPI ID you entered is correct or not. After verification, it will take you to the request page. You can also check and confirm customer’s name at the request page.
- If the customer’s UPI ID is correct, enter the amount and validity of the request. You can also write a remark on what is the payment for.
- Tap on Request button below to generate the request.
- Now, your customer will instantly receive this request. Customer needs to tap on the notification and enter his/her passcode to go to the app. Then after confirming amount customer needs to complete the payment using UPI PIN.
Get Money Through QR Code
What is QR code
A QR code is actually a square-shaped code that consists of black and white squares. These squares are arranged in a unique pattern and can hold details. QR code is actually a two-dimensional barcode. It can hold values like URLs, names, addresses, personal details and any text. The BHIM uses Bharat QR code system to generate this code in the app.
QR Code in BHIM
In BHIM UPI app, you can generate two types of QR code. The first is a one time QR code for each customer. You can generate it at the time of payment. You need to enter the amount and remarks and click on generate QR code button. Now, show this QR code to that customer and ask him/her to scan it through BHIM app. QR code is used to hold user’s details such as UPI ID and mobile number etc. You can generate a BHIM QR code using the BHIM app itself.
The second is a universal QR code that all of your customers can scan to pay. This payment only holds your VPA and mobile number details. Your customer needs to enter the payment amount after scanning it. The first type of QR code is safe but the second is time-saving. You can generate both types of BHIM QR code using the BHIM app itself.
How to Use QR code
First of all, you need to generate your BHIM QR code. However, if you want to use the universal QR code. Then you can get it from the profile page of BHIM. Take the printout of the QR code and paste it outside your shop, and done. Your customers can now scan and pay using that QR code. But, if you want more safety then generate a different QR code for each payment. Below are the steps for the same.
- Open the BHIM app and go to the menu using three-dots icon the top right corner for the first type.
- Now, tap on the ‘Generate QR Code’ option.
- Here enter the amount and remarks click on the generate QR code button.
- Now you can simply show your phone to the customer to scan and pay. You can also download it and send someone using email or WhatsApp.
- Now, all your customer needs to scan the BHIM QR code using BHIM app. In the next screen, the customer can confirm the amount and enter UPI PIN to complete the payment.
Duration to Receive Money Through BHIM
BHIM offers you real-time payments. As you already know that BHIM works on UPI platform that uses IMPS for transactions. And in IMPS the transactions are settled immediately after the money gets deducted from the payer’s account. It means you will receive money in your account instantly if you use BHIM. Also, you will get an instant confirmation SMS of the received payment. Isn’t it great?
BHIM Transaction charges
BHIM or I should say that UPI Platform doesn’t have any transaction charges as of now. This is probably the most interesting thing about the BHIM app and UPI. When we talk about other payment modes such as NEFT,
When we talk about other payment modes such as NEFT, RTGS or even cards. All of these have more or less charges on transactions. But with UPI or BHIM, you don’t need to pay any charges. But it doesn’t mean that there won’t be any in future. Actually, the government already indicated that in future there will be some charges on UPI transactions. However, they also said that the charges will be lowest of all payment modes.
Talking about limits, you can receive as much as 10000 in one transaction. However, you can receive unlimited payments from customers. The government has not yet set the limit for receiving payments.