Initially, the BHIM app was launched for android smartphone only. NPCI had neglected the iOS and windows users like you. You are using a phone from one of the best phone manufacturers. You deserved each and every app before any other smartphone. Belatedly, the NPCI understood and launched the BHIM app for iOS on 10 February 2017. Now you can enjoy making easy, secure and fast payments using your iPhones. This post will answer all your question regarding BHIM app for iOS and windows.
— NITI Aayog (@NITIAayog) February 12, 2017
Can You download BHIM APP for iOS or Windows?
Every Indian iPhone user has been waiting for this moment since the day BHIM was launched for Android. Finally, the waiting time has ended after a long time. You can now download and use BHIM app on your iPhone. Because NPCI has released the iOS version of the BHIM app. However, Windows version of the BHIM app is still not available. Another UPI app PhonePe had already launched a few days back. While other UPI apps like SBI Pay, or iMobile are not yet made for iOS. This post will answer all of your queries about the iOS based BHIM app.
Also Read: BHIM vs SBI Pay
Why there is no BHIM or UPI app for Windows
The NPCI had confirmed at the launch of the UPI that the UPI will work on android smartphones only. The reason behind this is android’s larger user base than iPhone. As you would know that NPCI is the nodal agency for UPI app payments. Initially, NPCI had developed the UPI framework for android only. But after some months, the NPCI has provided UPI framework for iPhones also. That’s how it become possible to develop BHIM app for iOS. Banks can also now develop the iOS based UPI apps. Whereas, NPCI has still not developed the UPI framework for Windows Phones. Hence, developing BHIM or any other UPI-based app for Windows Phones is impossible as of now.
Features of BHIM app for iPhone and Windows
BHIM app for iOS has all the features of Android version. And when the BHIM app for windows will be available, it is also supposed to have all the features.
You can send money using BHIM App. BHIM app for iOS or Windows will require VPA or mobile number to send money to anyone. The mobile number of beneficiary must be registered with his/her bank account. Otherwise, you will not be able to send money using BHIM app.
You can also request money using BHIM app. Money can be requested to anyone having a VPA or UPI enabled mobile number. This option comes handy when you need some money from someone. All you need to do is send a request to the person using BHIM app.
Scan & Pay
BHIM app has a built-in QR code scanner. This feature makes making payments easier than ever. You will be able to make payment by only scanning beneficiary’s UPI QR code. It saves your fingers from the hassle of typing a VPA. It also saves you from mistyping a VPA or mobile number.
Generate QR code
This feature stores all your transactions done with BHIM UPI app. It stores all completed and pending transactions in separate tabs. This feature is also a very useful feature to have in a UPI app.
How to use BHIM app for iOS or Windows
Using BHIM UPI app is pretty easy. I can say that it is the easiest UPI app among all. As I have already told you earlier, the iOS version of the BHIM app is now available. But the windows version is still not released by NPCI. When it will be available, your first step should be installing it.
Install BHIM UPI app
- Launch App store on your iPhone or Windows Phone.
- Search for the BHIM app by National Payment Corporation of India.
- Find the app in search results and tap on it to go to its details page.
- Tap on the install to install the app on your iPhone.
Add Bank account
- Launch the BHIM app by tapping on its icon.
- It will ask you to set your language. Choose your preferred language here.
- Now it will welcome you and give you some info. Tap on next couple of times and then tap on the ‘Let’s get started’.
- BHIM app will send a message from your sim card to verify your mobile number.
- After successful verification, it will ask you to set an app password. This password will be used to open the app next time. Set the password and confirm it in next screen.
- Now, the app will show you a list of banks. Choose your bank from the list.
- The BHIM app will automatically pick the account on which your mobile number is registered.
- Tap on the account to confirm it and it will be added to BHIM app for further use.
How to send money
- Tap on the send option which is on the home screen of the app.
- Enter the mobile number or VPA of the Beneficiary.
- Tap on the verify to verify the mobile number or VPA.
- If the mobile number or VPA you entered is incorrect, the app will show an error message. If the details are valid, it will take you to the payment page.
- Enter the amount and remarks and tap on Pay to send money. Your money will be sent instantly and both you and beneficiary will receive a confirmation message.
How to Request Money
- Tap on the ‘Request’ option which is on the home screen of the app.
- Enter the mobile number or VPA of the person to which you are requesting.
- Tap on the verify to verify the mobile number or VPA.
- If the mobile number or VPA you entered is incorrect, the app will show an error message. If the details are valid, it will take you to the request money page.
- Enter the amount, validity and remarks and tap on ‘Request’. Your request will be sent instantly and that person will receive a message.
How to Scan & Pay
- Tap on the ‘Scan & Pay’ option which is on the home screen of the app.
- Scan the QR code of the beneficiary with the in-app camera.
- BHIM app will read the details verify them and take you to the payment page automatically.
- Enter the amount, validity and remarks and tap on ‘Send’. Your money will be sent instantly. Both you and beneficiary will receive a confirmation message after the successful transaction.
Note: You can also save the mobile number or VPA for future use. For this, select the option ‘Save for future’ while sending or requesting money.
You can also report any issue of the BHIM. There are ways to book complaint about the BHIM.
What about Other UPI Apps for iOS or Windows
As the NPCI has released the UPI framework for iOS, other UPI apps for iOS will be released soon. Till then use BHIM App or PhonePe UPI app for iOS. But the UPI framework for Windows is still not released. Hence, neither BHIM app nor any other UPI app can be developed for Windows as of now. However, you can use other mobile wallets such as Freecharge, Paytm etc. and be cashless.