You can also enjoy the various features of UPI in feature phone thanks to the *99# banking. By using this new age service you can send money, request money and check balance without using a smartphone or internet. Everyone must learn this type of fund transfer as data might finish anytime. This feature is also a boon for those who still prefer the feature phone. The JioPhone user can also use this method to make payments. Almost every bank including SBI, ICICI, HDFC, PNB, Axis and BOB support *99# USSD Payment.
Learn More: What is UPI?
This USSD based *99# banking operates on the UPI Platform. Hence, you can perform all those tasks which are possible through the UPI apps. These services include money transfer, money request, bank balance check, UPI PIN reset etc.
*99# यूएसएसडी बैंकिंग के बारे में हिंदी में पढ़ें
1. USSD code *99# for Banking
As USSD code connects to the telecom operator’s server, Similarly, it also connects to bank’s server. Hence, it gives you access to your bank account and performs some transaction. The entry into your bank account is given on the basis of the registered mobile number. Thus, you must use a registered mobile number to dial the USSD code.
The connection to the server of your bank goes through the servers of telecom companies. The NPCI handles all the technicality of this USSD service.
What is NUUP
A special number *99# is fixed to access the banking services. This number works across the banks. This system of banking transaction is termed as the NUUP
NUUP stands for National Unified USSD Platform. It is an innovative service developed by NPCI and launched by the Indian government in 2014. The service allows the banks and telecom service providers to work together seamlessly. The services of NUUP are based on the USSD method.
Services Through NUUP
*99# banking uses USSD to perform some of the services of BHIM UPI. These services include sending money, requesting money etc. You can also check your account balance, change or reset your UPI PIN and see the transactions which are done through UPI. It also has the option to add, delete or view the beneficiaries.
USSD code For Different Languages
You can also use it in your own language. Currently, this service is available in 10 regional languages along with Hindi and English. Therefore, it is the best banking solution for every common man. The supported languages are-
- English *99#
- Hindi *99*22#
- Tamil *99*23#
- Telugu *99*24#
- Malayalam *99*25#
- Kannada *99*26#
- Gujarati *99*27#
- Marathi *99*28#
- Bengali *99*29#
- Punjabi *99*30#
- Assamese *99*31#
- Oriya *99*32#
Note: Due to some technical limitation currently only three services can be accessed in these languages except English.
- Balance enquiry
- Mini statement
- Funds transfer using IFSC and Account number
2. Dial *99# to Access Bank Account
First of all, you need to register your mobile number to your bank account. Visit your branch to get your mobile number registered. If your mobile number is already registered then you can directly dial the *99#. Follow these steps for USSD banking
Step 1: Dial *99# with your registered number and wait for 3-5 seconds.
Step 2: Choose your desired language if not earlier.
Step 3: You will see all the options for its services. These options are-
- Send Money
- Request Money
- Check balance
- My profile
- Pending request
- UPI PIN
From here, the process will be different for every service.
Also Read – USSD Codes For Direct access to Your Banks
3. Send money Through *99# Banking
Use this service for sending money to anyone. Enter 1 and hit send or call button. You will see some more options on the screen.
- Mobile number
- UPI ID
- Saved beneficiary
- IFSC, Account No.
1- Send money using the mobile number
Enter 1 in the Send money menu and send. Enter the beneficiary’s mobile number in the next screen and send again. Now, enter the amount and hit send button again. You will be asked to enter your UPI PIN to complete the transaction. Enter it and send. The money will be transferred and a success message will be shown on the next screen.
2- Send money using UPI Address
Enter 2 in the Send money menu and tap on send. Enter the beneficiary’s payment address in the next screen and send. Here, enter the amount and send again. Enter your UPI PIN in the next screen to complete the transaction. The money will be sent and a success message will be shown on the next screen.
3- Send money to the saved beneficiary
Enter 3 in the Send money menu and tap on send. Choose from your saved beneficiaries by entering their serial number and send. Here, enter the amount to be sent and tap on send again. Enter your UPI PIN in the next screen to complete the transaction. The money will be sent and a success message will be shown on the next screen.
4- Send money using IFSC and Account No.
Enter 4 in the Send money menu and tap on send. Enter the beneficiary’s IFSC in the next screen and send. Note, enter the account number of the beneficiary and send again. Enter your UPI PIN in the next screen to complete the transaction. The money will be sent and a success message will be shown on the next screen.
4. How To Request Money
Just like BHIM UPI, you can request money using *99# banking also. Below are the steps to request money-
- Enter 2 in the first menu of the *99# banking.
- Enter the mobile number or VPA of the person from who you are going to request money. VPA or UPI ID is unique address created by you to receive money.
- Enter the amount to be requested and tap on send.
- Your request will be sent to that person and a success message will be shown.
5. Check balance Without Internet
You can also check your account balance using *99# banking. Follow the steps below-
- Enter 3 in the *99# banking menu and send.
- Enter your UPI PIN and send again.
- Your account balance will be shown on the next screen.
6. Update My Profile Section
You can see and manage your profile details such as linked bank account, language etc. Enter 4 in the *99# banking menu and tap on send. You will see some options-
1- Change Bank Account
- Enter 1 in My profile menu and send.
- Enter your bank name/first 4 letters of IFSC/Bank’s 3 letter short name/Bank’s 2-digit numeric code in the next menu and send again.
- A list of your accounts which are linked with your mobile number will be shown. Choose the account which you want to add by entering its serial number and send.
- Your account will be changed.
2- Change Language
You can change the language of the *99# banking menu. Currently, only English and Hindi are available.
- Enter 2 in My profile menu and tap on send.
- Now enter 1 for English or 2 for Hindi and send it again.
- Your language will be changed.
3- My Details
See your details such as name, primary payment address etc. using this option.
- Enter 3 in My Profile menu and tap on send to see your details.
- Your details including your name, payment address, linked bank account and UPI PIN condition will be shown on the next screen.
4- Payment address
You can see and manage your primary payment address using this option. Follow the below steps-
- Enter 4 in My Profile menu and send.
- Your primary payment address will be shown to you. You can also change your primary payment address by entering 1 here.
- A list of your payment addresses will be shown on the next screen. Choose the serial number of the desired payment address and hit send to make it your primary payment address.
5- Manage beneficiary
You can manage the beneficiaries using this option. Enter 5 in My Profile menu and tap on send. You will see three options- add beneficiary, delete beneficiary and view beneficiaries.
1- Add beneficiary
Add any beneficiary using his/her mobile number, IFSC+Account number or payment address. Enter 1 in the Manage beneficiary menu and choose from available options. Follow the instructions to add a beneficiary.
2- Delete beneficiary
Delete any added beneficiary using this option. Enter 2 in the Manage Beneficiary menu and tap on send. Now, choose from the list of added beneficiary and enter the serial number on the account and tap on send. The beneficiary will be deleted.
3- View Beneficiaries.
Enter 3 in the Manage beneficiary menu and tap on send to see the list of the added beneficiaries.
7. Pending Requests
You can see all your pending requests using this option. Follow the below steps.
- Enter 5 in the first menu of *99# banking and tap on send.
- You will see a list of pending transactions if there are any.
8. Check Transactions History
See all the transactions done with *99# banking or BHIM app.
- Enter 6 in the first menu of *99# banking and send.
- You will see the list of transactions.
9. Set or Change UPI PIN
You can set or reset your UPI PIN if you forgot it. You can also change your UPI PIN using this option. Enter 7 in the first menu of the *99# banking and hit send. You will see two options. One for setting or resetting your UPI PIN and another for changing UPI PIN.
1- Set/Forget UPI PIN
- Enter 1 and tap on send.
- Enter last 6 digits and expiry date of your debit card separated by a space and send.
- Enter your new UPI PIN and tap send.
- Confirm your new UPI PIN and send. Your UPI PIN will be reset.
2- Change UPI PIN
- Enter 2 and send.
- Enter your old UPI PIN and send again.
- Enter your new UPI PIN.
- Confirm your new UPI PIN. Your UPI PIN will be changed.
10. Charges and transaction limit for USSD Payment
The telecom service providers will charge to use NUUP services. The TRAI has set a maximum limit of ₹ 1.50/ transaction. However, you should contact your telecom service operator to confirm exact charges. The transactions limit for *99# banking is set to ₹ 5000 per transaction by Reserve Bank of India (RBI). If your telecom provider gives you the Free SMS service, you would not be charged for this type of transaction as well. Jio users can relax.
Tips on using USSD banking
- The mobile banking service should be enabled in your account to access *99# services. If it is not enabled, visit your branch to register yourself for mobile banking.
- Before you start sending money through USSD banking, keep all required details such as beneficiary MMID/ IFSC/ Adhar, mobile number, your UPI PIN etc.
- The beneficiary needs not to register for mobile banking to receive funds. You can still send money using his/her IFSC and account number.
- Moreover, if you want to receive money using only your mobile number or payment address. Then it is compulsory for you to activate UPI services in your account by creating a UPI ID.
What is USSD Technology
Did you ever try to get the mobile balance by dialling a certain code? Did you see the recharge vendor using certain codes to access mobile services? You must have noticed that this code starts with ‘*’ (asterisk) and ends with # (hash). These are the USSD codes.
The codes which directly communicate with the server of telecom company is called as the USSD. The meaning or full form of the USSD is unstructured supplementary service data.
USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a technology normally used in the field of telecommunication. It is available on all GSM enabled handsets. You do not need an internet connection to use the services of this method. It uses voice connectivity only.
The *99# banking or USSD Payment is a great facility for those who don’t have the smartphone. But if you have the smartphone with the internet you should use the UPI apps. It is very user-friendly. You can find UPI apps by SBI, ICICI, HDFC and many more banks.